SEO Tips and Myths- Here Are My Favorite 12
I read a recent article about the Top 40 Myths About SEO. I agree with most of them and here are 12 of my favorite SEO tips:
- Usability Does Not Affect SEO– The fact is your site needs to be able to navigate easily. This not only pertains to the viewer but also web crawlers. Sites that are well designed will rank higher.
- The .edu and .gov Links Are Best– This is true only if the links are quality links. If they are obscure sites they will have limited value.
- SEO Is Based On the Quantity Of Links– Actually the quality of links is more important than sheer quantity.
- Backlinks Are More Important Than Content– This is self-explanatory and is simply not true.
- Paid Links Will Get You Banned From Google– Again, not true. I’ve done this myself and have had no problems but use sparingly.
- Good Content Is All You Need– Good content is very important but just one part of a good SEO strategy.
- Google Adwords Will Give You Preferential Treatment– Apparently this does not affect your natural or ‘organic’ rankings.
- SEO Is Something Done Once– To stay on top of the list SEO should be a continual process. Blogging like this is important to keep fresh content.
- SEO Companies Can Get Guaranteed Results– I wish! It depends upon many factors including the amount of competition in your business. I frequently guarantee results because if I was in the client’s position I would like a guarantee.
- Internal Links Don’t Matter– False. They are an important SEO strategy.
- Facebook Likes Or Tweets Are the Number One Factor In SEO– It turns out social media does not take the place of SEO. Don’t ignore social media but don’t place all your bets on it either.
- Keywords Are No Longer Relevant– They are very relevant in your content particularly on your homepage but don’t keyword-stuff your content.
For a deeper explanation of these myths read the full article here.