SEO Benefits Of Adding Video To Your Website
With YouTube outperforming Yahoo! and Bing in terms in the number of daily searches you can appreciate the importance of adding video to your website from a SEO perspective. Providing content on your site that search engines like is one of the best ways to increase search engine rankings. Video can be an important traffic builder for your website especially if your video is hosted on YouTube.
You know Google likes videos (you see videos listed all the time in searches). Using video is good for SEO- but how do we get the most out of our video?
Here are some tips to ensure your new video boosts your web traffic:
- Once your video is placed on your website- label it with a keyword rich label or caption.
- Describe your video with relevant keywords- this is within YouTube.
- If your video explains something consider transcribing it and adding the transcription to the web page and YouTube entry page which will enforce your all important keywords.
- If possible, name your video using keywords in the file name and url.
- Link to your video– from other pages within your site using a descriptive link (not ‘click here’ but something like ‘view my demo video’ with keywords in the link).
- Submit your video to your site map to help search engines index your pages.
Here are some additional SEO tips when uploading your videos to video sharing sites such as YouTube and Vimeo:
- Label your video with your website url so no one can mistake the source of the video. This can be a watermark or a title with your url.
- When you upload your video completely fill in the description with your best keywords. Use your url in the title of the video. Use your url in the first line of the video description– this is what viewers see first when they perform a search.
- Upload a transcription or caption file if applicable- YouTube now allows this. You have to upload the file first, view the file in your Uploaded Videos area and then click the Captions button.
YouTube ranks videos during searches using many different criteria including the number of views the video has, rankings by viewers, number of comments, the number of times the video was shared and the number of times your video has been embedded in other viewers’ sites. Above all, getting inbound links to your video is vitally important. Use social media sites, email blasts, whatever means you have available to you to encourage views and the end result will be increased web traffic!
Source of much of the above information is from SEO Expert, Peter Kent.